Medication that can lead to depression
There are many medications that may lead to depression. It’s important before you take them to talk to your doctor about your past regarding depression, and to pay attention to your side effects while you’re taking the meds so that you can deal with the depression if it happens.
– These types of meds are usually given to treat high blood pressure. There are alternatives such as calcium channel blockers that are turning out to be a safer alternative without the depressive side effect.
– These are used to treat inflammation and are often given to people with arthritis, lupus, gout, and other autoimmune disorders. These drugs lower serotonin levels in the body which can lead to depression. You could try to go on an anti-inflammatory diet instead of taking these meds, or use over-the-counter meds like Tylenol or a prescription drug like Ultram.
– These are used to treat anxiety, relax muscles, and treat insomnia. In some cases when a patient takes these for too long, they build up in the system, which causes a depressive effect. Instead of using these, try to deal with anxiety in natural ways by avoiding caffeine, going to bed at the same time each night and getting up at the same time in the morning. You can also try melatonin, which is a supplement.
– Each person is different and additional hormones can cause issues with the nervous system and end up causing depression even while they treat the underlying problem. Sometimes switching hormones can help, and other times being prescribed an antidepressant in addition to the hormone can help.
– These are drugs like Ritalin which are often given to people with ADHD or who have conditions like narcolepsy or even sleep apnea. Since they increase dopamine levels, it is believed that over time it may cause depression. The way to deal with this is to talk to your doctor and find out if you can deal with your issues another way.
– These are used to treat seizures and affect the neurotransmitters in the brain to limit seizures. While they may cause depression, you should balance the side effects with what you’re treating. You may need another drug like Effexor which can provide more serotonin to combat depression.
– These are also called proton pump inhibitors, prescribed for gastric acid and GERD. They can make people very irritable and cause depression. The best thing to do is to find out what is causing your gastric acid or GERD and treat it naturally by avoiding the food that is causing it.
– These are drugs people take when they have high cholesterol levels. They can cause depression due to lowering the brain levels of cholesterol too much. The best thing to do is use alternative treatments such as trying a low-fat plant-based unprocessed diet and getting your vitamin levels checked for B12, B6, and folic acid.
– These are for stomach cramps and GI disorders. They reduce stomach acid by blocking the effects of acetylcholine that causes our muscles to cramp. You can switch to Zantac to treat heartburn or something like Mylanta to avoid this drug. In addition, treat the problem by finding out what is wrong. You may have poor gut bacteria and need to take probiotics.
As you can see, there are many medications that can cause depression. You must balance the reason for taking the medication with the side effects. But do try alternatives before using them if possible.
There are also illnesses that can lead to depression that you should know about so that you can be aware Illnesses that can lead to depression